Friday, December 2, 2016

What can I give?


What can I give Him, poor as I am?  If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb; if I were a Wise Man, I would do my part; yet what can I give Him: give my heart.”  -Christina Rossetti

My favorite Christmas Carol is the Little Drummer Boy.  No matter what version, those barumpumpums get me every time.  In addition, I relate to his plight- the tot who wonders what he could possibly have to offer this newly born King.  Christmastide for all its joy and magic, stirs that same plight within us all, as we ponder, then fret over the perfect gift. 
In our family, we prefer homemade and heed the mantra, “No matter how small, it truly is the thought behind the token which matters, and Hey, and if ya can package it up prettily, all the better!”  Over the years, we have found different crafts and ornaments to make and share.  The most simple and equally pretty is pipe cleaners threaded with beads and curly-cued.  We enjoy the time spent together in this process.  Even grown, our daughters still take time to make a few gifts and we try our best to sneak in moments together.
Therefore, time of ourselves is a good gift.  Simple homemade is also good.  Being the Christmas card junkie I profess to be, (I adore picking out or making the perfect one each year!) and I equally enjoy going to the mailbox to find one arrived!  Just as it is best to be ourselves in any situation in life, the same holds true in gift giving…give from the heart and no matter whether the recipient is grateful, (this being a lack in the recipient, not the gift!) you will have given of yourself.  Nothing fails which comes from love.

 Listen to some tunes as you mix up a batch of homemade fun!

SALT DOUGH ORNAMENTS
*When I was in third grade, Mrs. Noel taught us how to make these salt dough ornaments.  We actually made tiny little loaves of bread and decorated with poppy seeds and sesame seeds then brushed with egg whites.  After they were baked, we glued magnets on the back for gifts for our mothers at Christmas.  It has been awhile since we made these…the last time was a Thanksgiving Day project with my Mother-In-Law, in which, she made and painted small beautiful wreaths.  The girls used cookie cutters and made shapes such as sugar cookies…I found many other ideas on Google, such as, nativity animals and figurines.  Keep in mind that the thicker the sculpture, the longer it needs to bake…but let your creative juices flow and have fun!

Ingredients:
1 CUP SALT
2 CUPS FLOUR
5 TBS CINNAMON
¾-1 CUP LUKEWARM WATER (NOT HOT, NOT COLD!)

-MIX FLOUR AND SALT IN LARGE BOWL.
-ADD WATER A LITTLE AT A TIME UNTIL LARGE BALL IS FORMED.
-TURN ONTO A FLOURED SURFACE SUCH AS WAX PAPER AND KNEAD FOR 5-10 MINUTES (THE LONGER YOU KNEAD, THE SMOOTHER THE CLAY) IF DOUGH IS STICKY, ADD MORE FLOUR A LITTLE AT A TIME.  IF DOUGH CRUMBLES, ADD MORE WATER A LITTLE AT TIME.

-DECORATE, AS YOU WOULD SUGAR COOKIES OR WITH BUTTONS AND GLITTER….
-PAINT WITH FULL OR DILUTED FOOD COLORS OR USE HERBS SUCH AS CURRY POWDER OR INSTANT COFFEE FOR NATURAL COLORS
-FOR SHINE, BRUSH WITH BEATEN EGG WHITES
-MAKE SMALL HOLE WITH STRAW FOR HANGING
-BAKE @ 325 DEGREES 1-1/12 HOURS UNTIL DRY….CHECK AT 45 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR
LET COOL BEFORE PAINTING IF PAINTING
-SEAL WITH SPRAY OR LIQUID VARNISH TO PROTECT OR EVEN ELMERS GLUE…LIKE CLAY, THIS DOUGH IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO MOISTURE SO IT NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED IN ORDER TO LAST!